A brand new unpackaged refillery and micro department store has arrived in the heart of historic Lavenham, offering the local community solutions for a simpler and more sustainable home.
Located on Water Street in the centre of the postcard-perfect medieval Merchants Row, Home Kitchen Lavenham offers responsible organic food pantry essentials, cleaning and sanitary refillables and a beautiful selection of jars and bottles for those looking to start their low-waste lifestyle.
The shop will house the following departments:
- The Refillery – pantry staples including nuts, seeds, dried fruits, pulses, rice, gluten free cereals, pasta, flours and snacks, spices, herbs, sugars, dairy free chocolate, syrups, oils and vinegars.
- Loose leaf teas and freshly ground coffee – including family recipe blends.
- Efficient Homewares – from the best knife sharpener to the beloved wooden spoon.
- Self Care – including natural make-up, gentlemen’s razors and toiletries.
- Nature’s Pharmacy – a selection of natural remedies to help anything from toothache to toe care.
- Utility Room – including refillable antibacterial cleaning chemicals and laundry solutions.
- Garden and Pet’s Corner – including Harrington’s complete nutrition, dairy-free, natural dry food and this season’s sowing vegetable seeds.
- The Library – a selection of books to encourage sustainability, gardening and children’s environmental awareness.
- Frozen Pantry – a selection of gluten-free and dairy-free meals, ready to oven cook, and components to build your own meals, along with our Home Kitchen recipe book – launching soon.
The shop’s concept ensures customers can stock up on exactly what’s needed for any jar or recipe without having to worry about packaging disposal. Offering online and in-person shopping, with home delivery by electric cars between Lavenham and Mersea Island on the first and third Thursday of every month.
The company’s ethos takes a 360º view of the best growing practices, sourcing factors and health implications of each item stocked to push the cost and environmental impact of household cleaning, cooking and self-care down.
Since graduating in 2008 with a B.Sc. Food, Nutrition and Consumer Protection from The Bath Spa School of Science and the Environment, Home Kitchen’s passionate founder, Charlotte, has enjoyed a fast-paced career in New Product Development, travelling to manufacturer’s all over the world with companies including The Kerry Group, Unilever and M&S. Tom, Charlotte’s husband shares an invested interest in all things culinary, being a professionally trained chef of 12 years.
On the project, Charlotte says: “We are excited to have launched our little shop in beautiful Lavenham. Tom and I were nervous to take the leap at such an ever-changing time, but when we came across No.74 Water Street, we just fell in love with it.
We all wish for a pleasant and more sustainable environment to enjoy living in and to see our children grow up in but it can be quite overwhelming to put into practice in our own homes. Our beliefs are entwined in our ‘back to our roots’ approach; that buying just enough, when you need it means fresher produce, less waste, more variety and a streamlined home. Our goal isn’t for a handful of people doing ‘zero-waste’ perfectly. We need lots of people doing it imperfectly to make a real difference.
We’re confident that the new shop offers a unique lifestyle destination for conscious consumers living in Lavenham and the surrounding areas, and we can’t wait to meet everyone later this month!”
The frozen food range will be launching on 1 December and will include the perfect roast for Christmas Day to simply pop in the oven at home which we will be taking pre-orders for.
The menu includes:
- Roast Potatoes – Featuring goose fat basted Maris pipers with whole garlic cloves and Maldon sea salt
- Braised Red Cabbage – Featuring soft brown sugar, Shiraz and Aspalls balsamic vinegar
- NHS Roasted Roots Rainbow – Featuring Carrots, Parsnips, Squash, Beets, Shallots, Fennel and Corn Kernels
- Nanny’s Classic Stuffing – Featuring Sausage meat, sage, onion, gluten free breadcrumbs with a hidden binding syrup of puréed and sieved apricot and linseed
- Breast of Turkey – Featuring hand carved slices of tender turkey resting in basting juices to retain that wonderful succulence, infused with thyme and bay
- Piglets in blankets – Featuring maraschino cherry soaked bread wrapped around streaky bacon and pork chipolatas
- Cauliflower cheese – Featuring creamy yet dairy free cauliflower florets laden with gluten free white sauce topped of course with more cheese and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast flakes
- Glowing greens medley – Featuring the humble brussel sprout, leeks, curly kale, celery and spinach tossed in a fresh leaf herb, lemon and black pepper olive oil
- Gravy – Featuring a rich reduction of juices and gluten free stock ready to heat in a pan on the hob
Plus more ongoing family favourite meals, prepared vegetables, add-ons from local suppliers, and more to come.
For more information, visit www.homekitcheneco.com or find us on social media via Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter @homekitchenlavenham.